Friday 17 July 2015

I




I squeeze off the tram and run
Across drizzly Johnston Street
The lights of the cars blurred
By the rain.

Press the buzzer at Will’s apartment
Meet him on the stairs
A grey plastic bag in each of his hands
Hummus, carrots, chocolate.

Lewis’s face over his left shoulder
Blonde curly hair
With a dreadlock at the back
I don’t think he knows about.

He pulls a concerned face
Backs into the hallway
The phone to his ear
“If it’s too late I won’t come tonight.”

Will packs the car
Lewis gets in, after me
He is shaking his head
“I hope he’s not a creep.” I whisper
And actually hope


For a moment I feel like Marylou
Sitting in the back
In the middle
Between the two.

We “cheers” long blacks
Brought under the green fluorescent lights
Oil changes colour on the pavement
Like a chameleon

Long red spaghetti lines of traffic
Spread out before us
On the Tullermarine freeway
And then the Calder.


452 km to Mildura. 







No comments:

Post a Comment