Thursday 23 July 2015

IV


That night I had Sharon Olds poem “Sex without Love” in my head
Although I couldn’t think of anyway with words
To express myself as cleanly as Olds
I felt there was something comforting
About looking down at my naked belly
As I slipped into the bath
And imagining a baby in there
That has come from love.
Perhaps I thought,
I can only express myself physically
When it comes to certain feelings
Words aren’t enough for me
Unlike these Writers at the Festival.

Will sat opposite me
Tiny islands of bubbles formed
In the hot water between us
I took a swig of champagne from the skinny glass
On the edge of the tub
It was cheap
I smiled at him
He didn’t smile back
He was feeling bad.

A loud knock
At the hotel room door
We were silent
I didn’t look at Will
It came again
Will hauled himself up
Dried himself quickly
Rapped a towel around his waist
I prayed to God that would not be the last time I saw those hips
“Coming”
Will shut the bathroom door
Muffled voices slipped under it
They were deep and persistent
I stood up, water trickled down my pale body
Tiny translucent snakes
Will opened the door just enough so that his face showed between
The cracks
“It’s the Police.”







1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this post...and can't help trying to imagine what happens next :)

    ReplyDelete