Monday 20 July 2015

III


I sit awkwardly
On a black leather couch
The authors are talking to us.
This is drinks.
I am supposed to be sucking up to them
Trying to get something
Good out of them
To write about
I am no good at it.

I try to guess their partners
Their age
Their weight
Why they have those shoes.
I am no good at it.

So I clutch my champagne
And stare into the tiny golden bubbles
And look around the room for Lewis
He’s still nowhere to be seen
That bastard.
I check my phone, there is a message from Will
“Have you seen Lewis?”
Peter Goldsworthy stands
Leaning against a wall, one hand in his pocket
He is talking to some students
Listening to them
I am jealous
He looks like a plank of wood
He nods at them as they speak
I am jealous
A fucking intelligent plank of wood.
My bag vibrates again
I reply
“No.”

I’m sitting in the front row
Alexis Wright and Tom Keneally
Are but metres away
Their wet mouths
Echo over the microphones
Lewis is nowhere to be seen
I imagine his head on a soft pillow somewhere.
Tom Keneally strokes his stout beard,
I’m not sure if it’s the right word
But it looks almost concrete -
The way it juts outwards
Like a cliff’s edge.
How many people have fallen over it
I wonder.
I call Lewis

No answer. 







No comments:

Post a Comment